File a Trip Report from WTA's Updated Trailblazer Mobile App
An updated version of WTA's free mobile app now lets you file trip reports from your phone and syncs your saved hikes lists.
You asked for it, and here it is! An updated version of WTA's free mobile app now makes it easier for hikers to get out and give back to trails.
With the help of some incredible volunteer developers and designers, the newest version of the WTA Trailblazer app for iPhone and Android has many of the features that hikers have asked us for.
You can now file a trip report directly from your phone and sync your saved hikes in My Backpack between devices. Learn more about all the features of the update app below.
Don't have the app? Download the free app
Download the app from the links below, or search for "Trailblazer" in the Apple, Google or Windows app stores.
- For your iPhone
- For your Android phone
- For your Windows Phone [does not include all of the updated features]
Key features of the updated Trailblazer app
From searching for hikes to scrolling through the latest Trip Reports, here are some of what you'll find when you connect with the WTA community on your phone.
- Search for trails by name, location or relative difficulty (measured by length of trail and elevation gain), and for family- and dog friendly hikes.
- Check the conditions on the trail with the latest trip reports from fellow hikers.
- Give back to the hiking community by filing your own trip reports.
- Bookmark your favorite hikes, and they'll sync to your My Backpack account when you log in on wta.org.
- Link to NOAA's website to easily get current weather conditions and forecasts at the trailhead.
- Additional hike detail, alerts and directions on many of the hikes in our Hiking Guide.
- Purchase the excellent Mountaineers Books Day Hiking guidebooks that have more details on these hikes right from the app.
If you like the new features, please rate it in the Google Play store or Apple Store, and consider chipping in to help support this website and the app. Have questions or suggestions? Email us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
3 tips for pro users: make the most of the app
- Filing a trip report in two parts. You can always file a bare bones report and return to edit your photo captions or fill in details later from a desktop. (To edit a trip report, log in to wta.org and look for the blue "Edit" button in the top right of your trip report page.)
- Advanced search by region. If you are used to searching our Hiking Guide by Region and Subregion (ex: North Cascades -- Mount Baker), then search the app by Region, and switch to the map view to zoom in on a specific area.
- Double down on directions. Many of the hikes now show text directions to augment the Google directions to the trailhead coordinates. If you don't see directions in the app, it's worth clicking through to the website to find more information in the Hiking Guide or in trip reports before you're out of cell service range. Using Google directions alone has lead many hikers astray on Forest Service roads.
fourteen410 on File a Trip Report from WTA's Updated Trailblazer Mobile App
The weather function of the app still does not work correctly on Android devices. It takes you to the NOAA site, but for your current location, not that of the hike you are looking up.
fourteen410 on Jul 29, 2015 07:56 PM
Try scrolling down?
Hi fourteen410 - Thanks for letting us know. We tested this morning, and while NOAA appears to show the local office (as well as some national alerts), if you scroll down on the NOAA site, the pinpoint forecast does seem to be working. If you are still getting the bug, email me a screenshot or more details, and I'll follow up with our developers.
Loren D on Jul 30, 2015 10:15 AM
LOVE the update!
I didn't really use the app much before because it just lacked a lot of features - new update really fills those holes! Thanks for the update!
Erika on Jul 30, 2015 01:33 PM
How 'bout some love for the Windows Phone app?
But at least you have one. Now, how about those updates?
jeffopoppy on Aug 05, 2015 04:59 PM
Hi jeffopoppy - The updates are definitely still on our radar. If you know of any windows developers who want to put in some volunteer hours, please send them our way!
Loren D on Aug 05, 2015 05:21 PM